Everyone realizes that construction and industrial workers have dangerous jobs. Office jobs are regarded as safe and much of the time that is true. However, the nature of the work and certain unsafe work practices has caused many serious and even fatal injuries. Injured workers at any job deserve compensation for medical bills and lost wages. They may find it necessary to consult Work Injury Lawyers in order to protect their rights.
Falls – the Most Common Office Accident
Office worker are injured more often by falling than in any other type of accident. Falling is also the cause of the most disabling injuries. Office workers are disabled after a fall 2 to 2.5 times more often than other workers, according to the CDC. Many of these falls are preventable.
Falls can be caused by:
- Tripping over electrical cords, loose or torn carpeting, objects lying in walkways or open desk or file drawers
- Reaching for something while sitting in a chair that wasn’t stable
- Using a chair as a substitute for a ladder
- Slipping on a wet floor
- Poor lighting
Even in an office, it can be necessary to lift something heavy. Many office workers have no training in lifting objects safely.
Here are a few tips on safe lifting.
- Always ask for help if the object appears too heavy.
- Use your legs, not your back. If picking something up from the floor, squat, face the object head-on, hold the object close to
- your body and stand using leg strength.
- Always use your entire hand to hold something, not just your fingers.
- Never twist while lifting.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Anyone who performs repetitive movements can develop Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). This injury can become very painful, making it difficult to hold something or perform many daily activities. CTS can be difficult to treat effectively. Ergonomically designed workstations can help to reduce the number of workers developing this troubling disability.
The cause of CTS is a pinched nerve in the wrist. Both the hand and arm can be affected. The worker could feel pain, numbness, tingling and various other symptoms. Anti-inflammatory medications and surgery may be recommended.
The partners at AlpernSchubert P.C. are both well-regarded and experienced trial and Work Injury Lawyers. If you’ve been injured on the job, you are entitled to Workers’ Compensation benefits. Unfortunately, the insurance company will try to pay as little as possible. For a free consultation, visit Domain URL You can also connect them on Facebook for more updates.