What Should an Accident Do Before Contacting a Slip and Fall Accident Attorney in Queens County, NY

Slip and fall accidents occur more often than most people think. People slip and fall in supermarkets when there are spills on the floor. People often slip and fall in the parking lot when the store owner neglected to have it properly treated. People even slip and fall and are injured on the property that they rent from their landlord. When a person is injured in a slip and fall accident that was due to the negligence of the property owner, they should hire a slip and fall accident attorney in Queens County, NY.

A lawyer can help the victim get compensation for their medical bills, any long-term care that they require, lost wages if they are unable to work while they are healing, and their pain and suffering. If the victim wants to have the best chance at getting the compensation that they deserve, there are a few things that they should do before they contact their lawyer.

Seek Medical Attention Immediately

If a person is injured in a slip and fall accident, they should seek medical attention. In some cases, the injuries are apparent immediately. In others, the pain won’t start until later. It is best to be checked out by a doctor right away. Before seeing a lawyer, they should get the medical reports and the bills.

Get Witness Contact Information

If there were witnesses to the accident, the individual would need their statement if the property owner’s insurance company refuses to pay. If the accident happened in a public place, the individual wouldn’t have the contact information for the people who witnessed the accident, therefore, they should get names and phone numbers.

Take Photos of the Accident Scene

If the victim is going to prove that the property owner was negligent and caused the fall, they will need to prove it. The best way to do this is to take a photograph of the accident site immediately. If the property owner has a chance to rectify the problem, the victim will have no proof that they were negligent. A photograph of the accident scene will be all that the victim needs.

The best thing that an accident can do when they see a slip and fall accident attorney in Queens County, NY is to have as much evidence as possible when they walk in the door. For more information, visit the Law Office of Steven R. Smith or browse website.