People can suffer many types of personal injuries. When a person is injured through no fault of their own, they may have the option of pursuing the person or company that caused their injuries. A person or business can be held liable, even if they did not directly cause the injury. Negligence is one of the biggest reasons individuals and companies are held liable and made to pay compensation to a victim. Those who are injured can have their rights protected with an attorney in Manhattan, KS.
An attorney becomes a strong advocate for an injured client. They make sure their rights are protected, work to ensure they receive the right medical care and pursue the one who caused their injuries and damages. While an attorney cannot guarantee a favorable outcome, they will work tirelessly to make sure they get the best outcome available for their client, whether their claim is settled with an insurance company, in court, or outside of court.
To prove an injury claim, an attorney must prove:
• The defendant owed the plaintiff a duty. This means some type of relationship existed, causing the defendant to act in a specific manner towards the plaintiff.
• The defendant must have breached the duty by refusing or failing to utilize reasonable care while carrying out the duty they owed the plaintiff.
• Cause, in fact, is a legal term that means the defendant’s actions or negligence directly caused the injuries suffered by the plaintiff. Many courts will term this as “but-for” which simply means the injuries would not have occurred but for the defendant’s actions or neglect.
• Proximate cause proves the defendant could have foreseen the possibility of injuries occurring because of their actions or negligence. This is a crucial part of pursuing any personal injury claim.
• The plaintiff must be able to prove measurable damages in court. The breach of duty must have caused actual damages to the plaintiff for them to be able to be awarded compensation.
If you are in need of the help of an attorney in Manhattan, KS, call the Oleen Law Firm right away. You can also browse their website to learn how they can help in your pursuit of your claim.